Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Bush might have some sense after all...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Bush might have some sense after all...

    I know this is a few days old, but couldn't find it posted on here....


    WASHINGTON (AP) "? President George W. Bush said his belief that God created the world is not incompatible with scientific proof of evolution.

    In an interview with ABC's "Nightline"? on Monday, the president also said he probably is not a literalist when reading the Bible although an individual can learn a great deal from it, including the New Testament teaching that God sent his only son.


    Asked about creation and evolution, Bush said: "I think you can have both. I think evolution can "? you're getting me way out of my lane here. I'm just a simple president. But it's, I think that God created the earth, created the world; I think the creation of the world is so mysterious it requires something as large as an almighty and I don't think it's incompatible with the scientific proof that there is evolution."?

    He added, "I happen to believe that evolution doesn't fully explain the mystery of life."?

    Interviewer Cynthia McFadden asked Bush if the Bible was literally true.

    "You know. Probably not. ... No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it, but I do think that the New Testament for example is ... has got ... You know, the important lesson is "?God sent a son,'"? Bush said.

    "It is hard for me to justify or prove the mystery of the Almighty in my life,"? he said. "All I can just tell you is that I got back into religion and I quit drinking shortly thereafter and I asked for help. ... I was a one-step program guy."?

    The president also said that he prays to the same God as those with different religious beliefs.

    "I do believe there is an almighty that is broad and big enough and loving enough that can encompass a lot of people,"? Bush said.

    When asked whether he thought he would have become president had it not been for his faith, Bush said: "I don't know; it's hard to tell. I do know that I would have been "? I'm pretty confident I would have been a pretty selfish person."?

    Bush said he is often asked whether he thinks he was chosen by God to be president.

    "I just, I can't go there,"? he said. "I'm not that confident in knowing, you know, the Almighty, to be able to say, Yeah, God wanted me of all the other people."?

    He also said the decision to go to war in Iraq was not connected to his religious believes.

    "I did it based upon the need to protect the American people from harm,"? Bush said.

    "You can't look at the decision to go into Iraq apart from, you know, what happened on Sept. 11. It was not a religious decision,"? he said. "I don't view this as a war of religion. I view this as a war of good, decent people of all faiths against people who murder innocent people to achieve a political objective."?

    He said he felt like God was with him as he made big decisions, but that the decisions were his.

    "George W. Bush has to make these decisions."?


    http://www.religionnewsblog.com/23032

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2005
    Posts
    1,087
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bush might have some sense after all...

    I would imagine most Christians, like myself, believe God created all things AND evolution of all life happens every day. What Christians don't believe is that life just sprang up out of nothing in some "Big Bang". I don't believe yours and my ancestors were apes. GOD put man on the earth.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." -Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    Inactive Member R13's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2007
    Posts
    10,269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bush might have some sense after all...

    And the fact that he doesn't take the Bible literally.


    Interviewer Cynthia McFadden asked Bush if the Bible was literally true.

    "You know. Probably not. ... No, I'm not a literalist, but I think you can learn a lot from it, but I do think that the New Testament for example is ... has got ... You know, the important lesson is "?God sent a son,'"? Bush said.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •